Thursday, March 29, 2018

Star Wars And The Power Of Costume

St. Petersburg Museum of Fine Art March 5th 2018

When we decided we would go away for a few days over my birthday, I wanted to go somewhere I had not been in Florida and always wanted to see the gulf coast area. I love museums. It's wonderful to see works of art up close. Museums are a really calm and soothing way to spend the day. When I noticed that they were also having this event it was a give in we would go to Saint Pete. Hotel Booked, Tickets bought, Dolphin Cruise booked and Groupons purchased we set off. 

I love the worlds of the Star Wars series, I don't know all the little details of the rumors and fan conspiracies but, I do know that I am fascinated with the world George Lucas created with the help of some amazing concept artists.  The story lines follow well and even the off shoots are well done. I have no issue with anything in the series, Jar Jar Binx included. My son loved Jar Jar when he was younger and it brought a whole new level of fan to the series.


Over the next few days I will post different segments of  the exhibit. I am going to try and give you the best of the photos I took and hope you enjoy them as much here as I did while walking through the exhibit.  I found I took so many photos that it was easier to do this over several days then the try and post everything in one. 

NOTES:

I am going to start today off with a bunch of the drawn and painted concept/sketch art that was throughout the exhibit. I am going to add as much info and notes as I have but forgive me if you see something that has no info. It maybe be I missed it or there was none. There was great lighting but sadly I did get a bit of it into the shots. Bright white spots are most likely lights. I did try and modify the photos to show the best detail. I will have a link to the original photos added at a future date. Enjoy!


Wall Art at the entrance!
With Star Wars, filmmaker George Lucas introduced a fantastical galaxy inhabited by a diverse universe of individuals.
Add caption
For the first Star Wars films, I wanted the costumes to be SIMPLE but TIMELESS...Costumes modeled on the archetypes that audiences would find understandable and familiar.
On the prequel trilogy, I knew a different approach was needed. We would be...spending time in the galaxy's LAVISH capital and witnessing royalty, OPULENCE, and advanced, albeit sometimes corrupt, civilizations.  - George Lucas



IAIN MCCAIG - Queen Concept Art 1995
Watercolor, crayon, and ink over graphite pencil tracings on paper. 



Concept Art Artist Signature blurred. 




Slightly blurred, no artist info.




JOHN MOLLO
Cantina Concept Art
1976
Marker, ink and graphite pencil on paper. 



Untitled and unknown artist.


Blurred

RALPH McQUARRIE
C-3PO Concept Art
1975
Pencil on tracing paper

George [Lucas] said he really liked the Metropolis robot, except it should look like a boy instead of a girl - Ralph McQuarrie concept artist. 




DOUG CHIANG
1995
C-3PO Concept Art
Ink and marker on paper



No comments:

Post a Comment

STAR WARS AND THE POWER OF COSTUME JEDI vs. SITH

UNKOWN ARTIST Episode III: Revenge of the Sith Storyboard About 2005 Graphite pencil, colored pencil, ink and marker on paper...